Construction-Historical Development of the Monastery Complex in the Village of Červený Kláštor in the Carthusian Period (1308/1320–1563/1567)

Construction-Historical Development of the Monastery Complex in the Village of Červený Kláštor in the Carthusian Period (1308/1320–1563/1567)

Authors

DOI:

https://doi.org/10.55159/tri.2024.0106.05

Keywords:

Red Monastery, Carthusians, Gothic style, Construction-historical development

Abstract

At the confluence of the Dunajec River and the Lipník Stream, in the immediate vicinity of the Polish-Slovak border, in the village of Červený Kláštor, there is a complex of monastery buildings whose history is connected with two monastic orders – the Carthusian, who built the complex during the 14ᵗh century, and the Camaldolese, who rebuilt it in the 18ᵗh century into its present form. In its rich history, the monastery was supported by both Hungarian and Polish rulers who regularly granted or confirmed many privileges to the monastery (exemption from taxes and tolls, the right to fisheries, etc.) Despite the undeniable monumental values and historical significance of this area, which surpasses the regional and national context, the current and past historiographical writings have paid minimal attention to its construction and historical development. The aim of the present study is therefore to provide a comprehensive overview of the historical development of the construction phasing of the complex in its first two construction phases, associated with the so-called Carthusian period. The presented findings are based on research of archival sources, contemporary and epochal literature and visual sources, and are complemented by the results of specialized dendrochronological, monumental and restoration research.

Author Biography

Anton Liška, Rivne State Humanitarian University, Ukraine

Monument preservationist, historian, theo- logian at the Regional Monuments Office in Prešov. He studied history, religious education and Catholic theology at the Greek-Catholic Theological Faculty and the Faculty of Philosophy of the University of Prešov in Prešov. From 2011 to 2015 he worked as an internal PhD student at the Department of Histor- ical Sciences of the Greek-Catholic Theological Faculty of the University of Prešov in Prešov and in 2015–2016 he did his grad- uate practice at the Regional Museum in Prešov – Manor House and Archaeopark Hanušovce nad Topľou. Since 2016, he has been working as a monument conservationist at the Regional Monuments Office in Prešov and since 2021 as an external employee at the Greek-Catholic Theological Faculty of Prešov University in Prešov. His working and scientific research specialization is wooden and brick sacral architecture (with a focus on the Eastern Byzantine rite), monuments of military history (with a focus on frontline and lazarette war cemeteries from the First World War) and campanology. He is the author of the scientific monographs Cholera epidemic of 1831 and its course in the Prešov Eparchy (2012), Calculation of the victims of the cholera epidemic of 1831 in the parishes and deaneries of the Prešov Eparchy (2013) and Front and lazarette war cemeteries from the First World War on the territory of northeastern Slovakia – monuments of history (2022), co-author of the scientific monograph History and Architecture of Greek Catholic Brick Churches of Theresian Type in Slovakia (2015), co-author of the scientific monographs Roma Holocaust in Central European Countries (2012), Historical Interest Unit in Lower Secondary Education – Hanušovce Region (2012), Historical schematism of parishes of the Prešov Metropolis – Prešov Archdiocese (2016) and Epidemics in History (2020) and author and co-author of dozens of scientific and professional studies and popular-educational articles in domestic and foreign indexed and non-indexed journals and compilations.

Published

2024-06-03
Loading...